Do you ever get terrible headaches? Do you want a healthy alternative to Tylenol or Advil?
Headaches…do you get headaches very often? I know I get them from time to time! Having a headache is NO fun! Depending on the severity of the pain, it can be debilitating. There are essential oils that are very good for headaches and one of the first oils that comes to mind for headaches is Peppermint. You can take a drop and apply to the temples (avoid getting the oil in your eyes), base of your scalp and at the vita flex points of where you are feeling your headache coming on. Also, breath in the oil that is left in your hand by rubbing your hands together and cupping your hands over your mouth and nose and breath in deeply for a minute. Sometimes though peppermint alone is not enough. My daughter gets bad headaches sometimes and I had her try a new regimen that I had read about and within 5 minutes of layering on these oils…her terrible, migraine type of headache was gone! The oils I had her use were: Basil, Marjoram and Wintergreen Essential Oils. I had her apply those by layering one drop of each oil to the base of her scalp, her temples and vitaflex points. She had relief within 5 minutes! And this is now her favorite headache remedy that she reaches for. Other oils that are good for headaches are:
- Peppermint: 1 drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to 28 tea bags. That shows the potency of YL therapeutic essential oils. This oil is great for sinus and stress related headaches. Be very careful as this needs to be diluted with a carrier oil when using it near the face/eye area (avoid getting the oil in your eyes) . Close your eyes when you are rubbing it on your temples. Really breathe this oil in and allow it to get into your nasal passages. It can alleviate a headache in minutes.
- M-Grain: This oil works great for those that suffer with migraines. The oils in M-Grain have anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties that also are analgesic (pain relieving). This oils works great for tension headaches and nausea, associated with the pain from your headache. Place two drops in the palms of the hands, cup over nose, and breathe deeply. Apply on temples, forehead, and back of neck.
- Lavender: Lavender oil is probably the safest essential oil to use, as it is very gentle, and known as the universal oil. If in doubt, use lavender oil. It can even be used on young children. Often, headaches are caused by tension and stress. Many essential oils cause a person to relax, thus the tense muscles relax and then the headache pain goes away.
- Panaway or Deep Relief on top of those oil helps too.
Try to treat the symptoms right away when you feel a headache coming on. A headache could be from a lack of sleep, stress, dehydration, sinuses, hormones and other contributing factors. Watch your water intake as well as your diet. A diet with high sugar content can cause headaches as well as a diet using sugar-free products.
A few tips when migraine symptoms begin:
- Drink water to avoid getting dehydrated, especially if you have vomited. Add a drop of peppermint in your water for added relief.
- Rest in a quiet, dark room
- Place a cool cloth on your head, maybe even a mask over your eyes
- Rub Peppermint, Pan Away or M-Grain essential oil on your temples (keep away from your eyes) and to the base of your neck. Add a carrier oil if needed if you have sensitive skin. Smell the oils by cupping the palms of your hands over your nose and breathe in slowly and deeply.
I love my Young Living Essential Oils and being able to provide relief and give them solutions for things that we used to turn to over the counter drugs for that just harm your body and add chemicals and toxins that your body doesn’t know what to do with.
Next time you have a headache, instead of grabbing the over the counter medicine, pick up your essential oil bottle and watch it work!
I only recommend Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils, since lower quality oils do not have the same medicinal qualities and may actually be toxic.
Click Here to learn more about ordering essential oils for your family!